UNCAS Health District
Welcome to the UNCAS Health District your local health department. The Uncas Health District is an unaffiliated, unincorporated non-profit agency operating under Connecticut General Statutes. The agency’s mission is to promote and protect the public’s health in order to prevent illness, death and disability among its residents. The Board of Directors is comprised of 17 non-compensated members appointed by each of the member municipalities. The number of Board Members is based upon the municipality's population with one board member for every 10,000 population or part thereof. They represent the needs and interests of their member municipalities, serving staggered 3-year terms and can be reappointed.
UHD now serves as the local health department for ten municipalities in Eastern Connecticut: Bozrah, Franklin, Griswold, Lebanon, Lisbon, Montville, Norwich, Preston, Salem, Sprague, and Voluntown, Connecticut. The services provided by the UHD include environmental health inspections, health education, public health preparedness planning, and public health nursing.
This website has valuable information on topics ranging from Public Health Alerts, Business Forms & Licensing, to Health Resources. We continue to add new information. Your feedback is helpful to us as we continue to provide appropriate resources and services.
We hope you find our site helpful. If you have any comments or questions, please contact us.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Mosquitoes in Voluntown, North Stonington, and Stonington Test Positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE)
Uncas Health District and Ledge Light Health District announced today that mosquitoes trapped in Voluntown, North Stonington and Stonington have tested positive for Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE). Some of the mosquito traps contained mosquito species that are known to bite humans.
EEE is a rare but serious disease caused by a virus that is transmitted by mosquitoes. Historically, the virus has been found in trapped mosquitoes in Connecticut, but only one person has died from EEE.
All residents of Voluntown, North Stonington and Stonington are advised to avoid outdoor activities from one hour beforeto one hour after dawn and dusk.
Additional precautions to avoid mosquito bites include:
- Be sure door and window screens are tight-fitting and in good repair.
- While outdoors, wear shoes, socks, long pants, and long-sleeved shirts. Clothing material should be tightly woven.
- Use mosquito netting if sleeping outdoors.
- Consider using mosquito repellent when it is necessary to be outdoors and always use them according to label instructions. The most effective repellents contain DEET or Picaridin. Oil of lemon eucalyptus is also effective for brief periods of exposure.
- When using DEET, use the lowest concentration effective for the time spent outdoors (for example, 6% lasts approximately 2 hours and 20% for 4 hours) and wash treated skin when returning indoors. Do not apply under clothing, to wounds or irritated skin, the hands of children, or to infants less than 2 months.
Measures to reduce mosquitoes around the home include:
- Dispose of water-holding containers, such as ceramic pots, used tires, and tire swings, clogged gutters.
- Drill holes in the bottom of containers such as those used for recycling.
- Change water in birdbaths on a weekly basis.
- Clean and chlorinate swimming pools, and cover pools when not in use.
- Use landscaping to eliminate areas where water can collect on your property.
Additional resources for information on EEE and mosquito management can be found at:
Current UNCAS Health District Programs
Volunteer! Public Health Preparedness
Medical Reserve Corps - Region 4
The Uncas Health District Medical Reserve Corps (Uncas MRC) is a national network of community-based volunteers who are on standby to support public health infrastructure in times of emergency. Members receive many free trainings that will help in their ability to strengthen public health, reduce vulnerability and disaster risk, build resiliency, and improve community preparedness, response, and recovery capabilities.
401 W. Thames Street, Suite 106
Norwich, CT 06360
Park in the back of the Campbell Building
Enter through Credit Union entrance
For Contact Information & Directions For All Locations
Norwich (main location), Jewett City, Lebanon, and Montville