The purpose of a home's subsurface sewage disposal system (septic system) is to dispose of the waste water generated by the occupants in such a manner that the soils on the property can disperse it without causing an adverse effect on groundwater and in turn on public health and the environment. Many homes in our District rely on on-site sewage disposal systems.
The Uncas Health District is responsible for:
- Issuing permits for all activities related to the construction or repair of any subsurface sewage disposal system.
- Investigating any complaints related to failing septic systems.
- Reviewing and approving plans for septic systems.
- Conducting soil evaluations and percolation tests to assure site suitability.
- Retaining records for all new and repaired septic systems including as-built drawings.
- Assuring that any construction activities, or change in use of the property, do not adversely impact the on-site septic system or reduce potential repair area.
Homeowners, or their representatives (contractors), who rely on subsurface sewage disposal are required to contact the Uncas Health District to obtain a permit if they are:
- Altering or repairing any part of a subsurface sewage disposal system.
- Constructing a new system.
- Planning to construct an addition, accessory structure (decks, etc.) or outbuildings.
- Planning on increasing the number of bedrooms.
- Planning to install a swimming pool.
Approval is needed from the District before a building permit can be obtained. Before a building permit is issued to construct a new house or commercial building, the District must issue the septic permit.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact a District Sanitarian. You can view the subsurface sewage disposal technical standards on the State Department of Public Health’s website.
- For any questions regarding public sewers, please contact:
- Town of Bozrah – 860-889-2689
- Town of Montville WPCA – 860-848-3030 x376
- City of Norwich Public Utilities - 860-887-2555
- Town of Sprague Water and Sewer Authority – 860-822-3000 x225
- Home Buyers Guide
- Applicable Statutes/Regulations
- Associated Forms
- Guidance Documents